Studded tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studded tires

Has anyone tried installing tire studs to extend the off-road riding season? Or on-road, although that is technically not legal in southern Ontario if you happen to be located in the armpit of Canada (a.k.a. Golden Horseshoe)?

Terence

Studded tires would be a disaster on anything except hard packed snow or ice. Better to get a snow specific tire like Anlas or Heidenau.

Comment

Ed March tried using those Aerostich tire studs when he rode across Canada and I think his experience was that they were great on ice, not so much pavement.

You could look into tire chains as well. Some keeners do use them on big ADV bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by TK4 View Post
        Studded tires would be a disaster on anything except hard packed snow or ice. Better to get a snow specific tire like Anlas or Heidenau.
        I accept this as a good answer for road use... Thanks. What about off-road? Are studded tires okay when you are on a mix of frozen dirt, mud, ice and snow depending on where the trail goes? Or is it only for ice and packed snow as well?

Terence

Comment

Originally posted by TerenceB View Post

I accept this as a good answer for road use... Thanks. What about off-road? Are studded tires okay when you are on a mix of frozen dirt, mud, ice and snow depending on where the trail goes? Or is it only for ice and packed snow as well?

Terence
          Studs aren't going to help unless the terrain is near rock hard.
          An aggressive knobby with a few random (long thread)) sheet metal screws is likely the best compromise.
          Too bad we don't have any ice racers on the forum.

Comment

TK4 is right, the terrain must be really hard.
            I looked on Kijiji there's a 21/19 set going cheap. Aside that, perhaps call an off road focussed shop like Orange Motorsports (now in Madoc) to find out where one could get them.

Comment

Originally posted by TK4 View Post

Studs aren't going to help unless the terrain is near rock hard.
              An aggressive knobby with a few random (long thread)) sheet metal screws is likely the best compromise.
              Too bad we don't have any ice racers on the forum.
              Okay, the silly idea has now been parked. I occasionally ride on the street in snow with knobby tires when there is little traffic... but I don't really need studded tires. I was just thinking maybe trail riding would go longer in the season but probably it would make no difference unless I am riding on ice as you and Joel pointed out. I rode on a frozen motocross track once as it was frozen dry and not icy. It was wild but then I got a bit of fear realizing that crashing would be like hitting concrete so I slowed down and didn't return until spring.

Terence

Comment

All this talk has reminded me I have a set of ice tires for the DR350 out in the shed ... maybe this winter will be my big chance to use them. The coastal marshes where I hunt ducks are already frozen over, so now's the perfect opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by Zac View Post
                  All this talk has reminded me I have a set of ice tires for the DR350 out in the shed ... maybe this winter will be my big chance to use them. The coastal marshes where I hunt ducks are already frozen over, so now's the perfect opportunity!
                  Give 'er !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X