Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi and Question (new BMW R 1200 RT owner)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and Question (new BMW R 1200 RT owner)

Hi everyone,
    As the title says, I am a new owner of a used BMW R 1200 RT. I have picked it up from the previous owner in the end of August.
    It has got 7.7K miles on it, and is in pretty good condition, so I can say I got a great deal for it.
    I registered here as this is first bike I own, before I used to drive scooters and BMW maxi scooter. Now, decided to upgrade my ride and bought this R1200RT. I can say, that I am happy with what I've got. Yet, as this is not a brand-new bike, there are certain things that need to be taken care of. There is a crack on 1 headlight that pisses me off (I will try attaching the pic, hopefully it will go through). And I plan on doing something about the seat by spring, it will be either a new seat, or a seat cover, or I will have the one I've got wrapped with a new material...

As for the headlight, do you folks think it is a good idea to try put a set of sealed LED lights? Won't they throw errors or something?
    Maybe there are some good options y'all can recommend from the experience?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	370
    Click image for larger version

Name:	my R1200RT 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	371

I doubt LED headlights will cause any problems. You can buy drop-in replacement bulbs for most headlights that would be an easy swap, but won't solve the crack problem. Of course, your crack problem could be worse--you could live in the inner city, where they frequently see crack epidemics.

Comment

You know, I can live with the crack, as well as one can live without a bike if they have a car or truck, you know. But as long as I know the crack is there it pisses me off haha
      I will see if that's possible to replace the plastic lens only and what will be the price. If it's reasonable, I can swap bulbs to LEDs and get a plastic lens replaced.
      I was looking at Daymakers to replace my lights with, but I saw prices between $1200 and $1400 which is kinda too much for me (at least for now).
      I looked up alternatives of the daymakers, and these round lights by the new-to-me brand Hogworks seemed a good option:
      https://www.motorcycleid.com/hogwork...688356971.html (the price is $220, not $1K+).
      I tried looking up reviews of these lights and do not seem to find anyone commenting on the way they work on the bikes...
      I just want to make sure my electrical system will not go mad when I get LEDs in haha

Comment

Working...
      X